• Plant Type: Perennial
• Sunlight: Partial shade, full shade, full sun
• Soils: Medium to medium-dry soil conditions
• Bloom Time: Light blue flowers in September, October
• Size: 3 feet in height; 1-2 foot spread
Blue Wood Aster has a wonderful array of dainty blue flowers that attract butterflies and bees. It is an excellent fall bloomer in a perennial border when others are starting to fade. It also makes an attractive cut flower and is a great naturalizer at the edge of woods.
Black-Eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta), Purple Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea), Blue-stemmed Goldenrod (Solidago caesia)
• Root system is an effective erosion control on hillsides.
• Offers nectar and pollen for butterflies and bees.
• Supports specialist Adrenid Bees.
• Host plant for Pearl Crescent butterfly caterpillars.
Occurs at the woodland edge, upland meadows, and forests.