• Plant Type: Perennial
• Sunlight: Full sun, partial shade
• Soils: Well-drained sandy soils
• Bloom Time: Late summer – August, September, lavender flowers
• Size: 2-3 feet in height
A non-aggressive rhizomatous root system allows the plant to spread slowly. In a garden setting, Smooth Blue Aster will persist for many years. The beautiful late blooming flowers attract many different pollinators.
Heath Aster (Symphyotrichum ericoides), Aromatic Aster (Symphyotrichum oblongifolium), New England Aster (Aster novae-angliae), Little Bluestem (Schizachyrium scoparium)
• Host plant for the Pearl Crescent butterfly and Silvery Checkerspot butterfly
• Attracts many different native bees and butterflies.
Occurs naturally in fields and meadows.