• Plant Type: Shrub
• Sunlight: Sun, Part Shade
• Soils: Moist to dry, average
• Bloom Time: White flowers in May, June
• Size: 3-10 feet in height; 3-6 foot spread
Plant this multi-stemmed shrub in a wildlife or mixed shrub border to show its small masses of flowers followed by showy fruit. When planted in full sun, foliage will be deep red in fall. It can spread by root suckers forming colonies. Drought tolerant once established and tolerates occasional flooding.
Cinnamon Fern (Osmundastrum cinnamomeum), Royal Fern (Osmunda regalis), Steeple Bush (Spirea tomentosa), Speckled Alder (Alnus incana), Wild Strawberry (Fragaria virginiana), Grass-leaved Goldenrod (Euthamia graminifolia)
• Showy fruits attract birds in winter.
• Offers nectar for bees and other pollinating insects.
Occurs in bogs, wet thickets, margins of ponds and lakes, woods.