• Plant Type: Grass
• Sunlight: Full to part sun
• Soils: Dry to moist soils
• Bloom Time: August-October
• Size: Up to 8ft tall
A beautiful, tall ornamental grass with a bronze, metallic sheen to the seedheads. Blueish green foliage turns yellow as it begins to produce seeds in the fall. A crucial species in tallgrass prairies and is best utilized in naturalized masses. Great plant for screening.
Joe-Pye Weeds (Eutrochium sp.); Evening Primrose (Oenothera biennis); New York Ironweed (Vernonia noveborecensis); Ox-Eye Sunflower (Heliopsis helianthoides)
• Provides nesting material and cover for birds and native bees.
• Seed heads provide late season food for birds.
Fields, rocky shorelines, woodland openings, and roadsides.