• Plant Type: Tree
• Sunlight: Sun, part shade
• Soils: Dry, average
• Bloom Time: April, May – pollen is windblown
• Size: 60-80 feet in height; 30-40 foot spread
Plant the majestic, long-lived White Oak for shade and stately structure as a backbone in the garden. It prefers full sun. Fall color of purple to wine-red. Oaks are a keystone species in the Cape’s ecosystem because they support more wildlife than any other plant found in our landscape.
Flowering Dogwood (Cornus florida), Arrowwood Viburnum (Viburnum dentatum), Rosebay Rhododenron (Rhododendron maximum)
• Supports the caterpillars of over 535 species of butterflies and moths.
• Acorns are food source for birds, deer, squirrels, and other rodents.
Occurs in woods, dry upland slopes, well-drained loam in bottomlands.