• Plant Type: Vine
• Sunlight: Sun, part shade
• Soils: Average, moist
• Bloom Time: White in July, August, September
• Size: 3-8 feet in height; 3-5 foot spread
The most common clematis in New England, Virgin’s Bower, is a fast-growing climbing vine. It can also naturalize as a ground cover. Clusters of feathery flowers spread along the length of the vine and can be all male, all female, or all perfect (both male and female reproductive parts).
Best to give it something to climb like a trellis or fence.
• Attracts bees, butterflies, hummingbirds.
• Foliage used for nesting birds.
Occurs in forest edges, shores of rivers or lakes, thickets, swamps.