• Plant Type: Perennial
• Sunlight: Sun, Part shade, shade, sun
• Soils: Average, dry, moist
• Bloom Time: Yellow in August, September, October
• Size: 1-3 feet in height; 1-3 foot spread
Compact pollinator plant that is shade tolerant and well-suited for a wildlife or shade garden or a natural area. Zigzag Goldenrod is good for massing and will spread by seed unless it is deadheaded. Does not require mulching because it is adapted to dry conditions. Semievergreen basal leaves provide erosion control.
Goldenrods (Solidago spp.), Oxeye Sunflower (Heliopsis helianthoides), Blue Wood Aster (Symphyotrichum cordifolium)
• Seeds attract Swamp Sparrows, Pine Siskins, and Meadow Mice
• Host plants for some moth caterpillar species
• Nectar plant for native bees, wasps, butterflies, and pollinating flies
Occurs in forests, protected slopes, wooded shores of rivers or lakes.